April 15, 2022
Dear Berry Patch Families,
Spring conferences are scheduled for April 21 and 22. This is a valuable opportunity to collaborate as a team to discuss how your child has developed academically, emotionally, socially, and physically. It’s a time to talk about what skills your child should be focusing on during the summer months to be prepared for the next year of school.
Tips to Make the Most of Parent Teacher Conferences
1. Arrive on time.
2. Keep the conversation focused on the child. Use the questions below as a guide.
3. Take notes. Don’t forget a notebook and pen.
4. Stay within the scheduled conference time.
Helpful Questions for Spring Conferences
• Is my child progressing as he should be for his age and developmental stage? Children mature individually. Keep comparisons out of the picture. Comparing one child to another, even siblings can be detrimental. Look at each child individually.
• What activities is my child drawn to during the school day? What are the favorite toys, games, or learning centers? What are her strengths? What are her weaknesses?
• How well does my child interact with classmates? Is my child inclusive with other students? Does my child tend to lead or follow? Who does my child typically play with at school? Is it always the same child or group of children?
• How does my child typically solve problems? How does he handle success and failure?
• Are there behaviors my child is exhibiting at school that I can work on at home?
• Would it be beneficial to fill out a Parent Input Form for Student Placement for the upcoming school year at The Berry Patch?
• What additional activities are recommended to enhance learning over the summer months?
As your child moves into elementary, middle, and high school, I encourage you to take your child to conferences with you. The information is all about the child, so having your child present is beneficial as the child gets older and becomes more responsible for his own education.
Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor…
SAVE THE DATE for Parent Night at The Berry Patch
The pandemic, lockdowns, masked faces, and fear of the unknown has made friendship building, communicating, and coping with emotions more difficult for young children. On Thursday, April 28 at 7:00-8:00 pm at our Colonial Berry Patch location, I’ll be presenting Social Emotional Learning for Preschoolers: Strategies and Tools for Families. Join us to learn practical ways to assist your children in managing their behaviors and interacting well with others. The Berry Patch School is dedicated to the whole family. All adults who interact with your children are welcome to attend including parents, nannies, grandparents, and neighbors! Four $50 Pajarito gift cards will be raffled for all in attendance.
RSVP HERE to let us know you will be attending!
Becky Danielson, M.Ed.
Licensed Parent & Family Educator