Dear Berry Patch Families,
Generosity is a virtue we practice all year long at The Berry Patch School. Sharing with friends, expressing kindness in word and deed, and providing for others through our monthly Children Serving Others (C.S.O.) are examples of how this virtue is exemplified at The Berry Patch. In December, we are gathering new hats, mittens, and gloves to share with Hats & Mittens, which provides outerwear to those in need in the Twin Cities.
We know training children to be generous can be a bit overwhelming. It’s often difficult to get kids to even share with their siblings. Rest assured, the virtues of compassion, kindness, empathy, and generosity can be taught. Use these ten tips to encourage generosity in your family during the holidays and all year long.
Top Ten Tips to Encourage a Generous Heart
- Model a generous heart; avoid selfishness.
- Be thankful and content.
- Discuss the difference between wants and needs.
- Praise your child when helpful, generous behaviors are exhibited.
- Practice empathy, placing oneself in another’s shoes.
- Identify ways to help others.
- Take advantage of the Salvation Army Red Kettles and other opportunities to share during the holidays.
- Be hospitable by inviting others into your home.
- Expect children to be generous, sharing and being kind to one another.
- Encourage your children to express thanks to others by saying thank you and writing thank you notes.
Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
2 Corinthians 9:7 ESV
May your Christmas be filled with love, joy, and generosity!
Becky Danielson, M.Ed.
Licensed Parent & Family Educator
Lunch & Learn
Join other parents and staff for a complimentary lunch and educational learning!
December 18 How to Handle BIG Emotions in Small Children (Colonial)
January 24 Two Tough Topics for Parents: Sleeping and Eating (Calvary)
February 20 Two Tough Topics for Parents: Sleeping and Eating (Colonial)
March 26 Building Your Parent Tool Kit: Strategies & Resources (Calvary)
April 25 Building Your Parent Tool Kit: Strategies & Resources (Colonial)
Register online for the Lunch & Learn events. Children are welcome to attend Lunch Bunch for a fee.